CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Jun 24, 2010

Scotland Part 1 (Maybe the one and only part, we’ll see)

I’m sure everyone is on pins and needles waiting for pictures and stories from my trip to Scotland. It was a 10 day trip, so I will mainly hit on the highlights.  I take that back, I am going to begin with the worst part of the trip…the flight.  We flew from Salt Lake to Paris, then Paris to Edinburgh.  I couldn’t sleep on the flight, then the layover in Paris was pretty terrible.  Nate didn’t have “papers” for his insulin pump and no one in security at the airport (in Paris) seemed to know what to do.  It took us 45 min, but we finally were cleared to fly. We had a couple more hours, then we flew to Edinburgh.  By the time we got there it was late afternoon, so we got our car and set out to find the place we were staying.  In this whole process we lost 7 hours and I didn’t sleep on the plane, so basically I was exhausted. 

360

The following day was Saturday and one of the highlights of the trip to Scotland.  We wandered the streets of Edinburgh for part of the day and we saw much of the city.  Toward the end of the day we wandered into the National Gallery of Scotland. We looked at the exhibit they had on dance and explored the main floor, but it was close to the 5 o’clock closing, so we didn’t venture upstairs.  As we were leaving I picked up a brochure.  I opened it and couldn’t believe my eyes.  It said that my absolute favorite painting was on display upstairs. We immediately turned around and headed back upstairs so I could see it.  It is a painting by John Singer-Sargent named “Lady Agnew of Lochnaw.”  In fact, back in the day when I actually considered studying art in college (ha!) I used that painting as one where I imitated an artist’s style.  I couldn’t believe I was actually standing in front of the painting.  It was incredible.

lady_agnew

I could just start rambling and tell you all the reasons this painting is fantabulous, but I won’t because you’d be bored. Instead you can look at it and if you don’t appreciate it, well, I am afraid you are beyond help. 

Wow, I am super duper long winded.  I guess I can stop for today.  So…..To Be Continued.

 

3 comments:

Amara said...

OK, I'm going to need another post ---and a heck of a lot more pictures!!!

Elmer said...

Yes, more pictures! But I do love that painting and I remember when you painted it. :)

Jacobson Five said...

Still waiting for part 2! Maybe the next trip.