CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

May 28, 2007

Crazy Days


So, our crazy life has finally settled down a bit. School is out for both Jacob and Emma. Jacob has officially finished kindergarten, it is nuts! He is getting so old. Emma had a graduation program in which she very willingly performed with her class for all the parents. She doesn't have a drop of stage fright. Nate is going to work about half the day most days, and then he and I head to the hospital. I am getting better a lot slower than I would like, but each day is a little better.
Now, an upda
te on Peter. At the end of last week they removed all his IVs because he didn't need any more antibiotics (which they give every preemie). So they also took him off the TPN which is just feeding through an IV. So he began just getting milk through the gavage tube that runs in his nose, down his throat to his stomach. He did very well and each day they increased the amount of milk they were giving him. Now they are giving him milk with a fortifier to increase the calories. As they did this he kind of bottomed out weight-wise at 2 lbs. 6 ounces. He has been going up most of the time since then. There has been a day or two that he lost some weight but he is back up to about 2 lbs. 9 ounces. He has also been on and off with the billi-lights. His billirubin goes up and down, but the doctors aren't worried about it. It is expected with these little guys I guess.
Today was a hard day. I haven't been feeling well, so I
haven't seen Peter for 2 days (2 very long days). When I went in today I walked over to his bedside I saw that he was on oxygen and under the lights again. My heart just sank. I just hate seeing him like that. He has the feeding tube and the oxygen tubes taped to his face. The doctors told us that between 2 and 4 weeks preemies sometimes outgrow their lungs and they have to give them some help breathing for a week or two. They made sure it isn't an infection and that he hasn't aspirated something, so they don't seem too worried. But they aren't his mother. There was some good news though, they are going to try giving him a bottle.
Hopefully this week will bring more good news.

2 comments:

jeannine said...

Kristina:
Hang in there. You will have your little Peter home before you know it! Once he is home, then you will really be tired! I love the update- Jeannine

Sue said...

Dear Kristina,

Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and your family. Little Peter looks so cute and so tiny. I can hardly imagine how tiny he is. Kim was 4 lbs 7 oz and KEvin 4 lbs 10 oz when we took them home from the hospital and they were tiny.

If there is anything at all that I can do to help, I'll be home starting Tuesday. Let me know. I'll come to Mapleton or meet you at the hospital or whatever.

I love your BLOG!

Love,
Aunt Sue